Society "Saule", an organisation for people with intellectual disabilities, was founded in 1995. During this time it has developed an understanding of target group’s needs and abilities, as well as the necessity to involve them in decision making processes.
The society has promoted the establishment of Self-advocacy Movement in Latvia (SML), which is a member of the European Platform of Self- advocacy since 2007. As a continuation of previously implemented Latvian and International projects, a sub-project "The Dimensions of Independence" is planned. The aims of this sub-project are:
1) Involvement of youngsters with intellectual disabilities in civil participation processes, to strengthen the SML network, to promote the emergence of new groups under the UN Convention on Rights of a person with disability.
2) Strengthening the capacity of SAML network through in-depth study of the UN Convention.
During this project it is expected:
1. to prepare an expanded explanation on the UN Convention in simple Latvian and it’s translation
into simple Russian.
2. to organise 2 three day seminars for young people with intellectual disability from Latvia’s Day
and Social care centres and 14 local seminars for SML groups, 9 seminars in the special schools of
Latvia, 10 meetings with the regional governments.
3. to renew the SML part of the home-page.
4. to organise a two day conclusion seminar.
As a result of this project, the young people will understand the UN Convention and will be able to contribute to it’s implementation on Latvia, will be able to better express own opinion and to defend their rights in everyday situations. Project results:
The SML as a whole will be strengthened and co-operation on the regional level will be encouraged.
Informal learning in Latvia will be promoted.
Akadēmiskie pētījumiTarget group:
Bērni,JauniešiLegal status of Beneficiary:
20600.35 LVL Project number:
Society „Saule”, for people with intelectual dissabilityStart date of project:
01.01.2011.Project finish date:
31.12.2011.Place of implementation:
Rīga region, Rīga, Allaži, Sigulda county, Ropaži and county, Ogre, Jūrmala, Zemgale region, Jelgava, Jelgavas county, Vilces county, Latgale region, Jēkabpils, Līvāni, Daugavpils, Kurzeme region, Liepāja, Kurzeme region Grobiņa county, Grobiņa, Vidzemes region, Rūjienas county, Jeru parishLegal address:
Ventspils st., 29, Rīga, LV-1002Phone: